ITS UK has announced the shortlist for its annual Awards, to be held in London at the end of next month.
The Awards, which take place during the Intelligent Transport Systems industry association’s President’s Dinner, celebrate transport technology across the industry, covering the use of technological solutions in areas like active travel, enforcement and the environment, as well as “celebrating those organisations and individuals who have made a special contribution to the sector”.
The winners will be announced at the Dinner, taking place at 113 Chancery Lane, the home of the Law Society (pictured), on the evening of 31 October.
Max Sugarman, Chief Executive of Intelligent Transport Systems UK (ITS UK), said: “Congratulations to all those shortlisted for the 2023 ITS UK Awards! We’ve had some fantastic entries showing just how innovative, dynamic and vibrant the sector is.
“We’re really excited to be bringing together the industry at our President’s Dinner on 31 October for an evening of celebration, showcasing the brilliant achievements of ITS UK organisations. We hope you can join us there, where we’ll be announcing the winners of our prestigious 2023 Awards!”
The Dinner is sponsored by Neology UK, and supported by media partners the Railway Industry Association and Highways News.
ITS UK Awards 2023 Shortlist
Rees Hills Award for Outstanding Personal Contribution
- Graham Hanson, Head of Smarter Traffic Management, Traffic & Technology Division, Roads and Local Group at the Department for Transport
- Andrew Davidson, former National Operations Manager, Transport Scotland
- Keith Manston, Head of Product Management, Yunex Traffic
Jennie Martin Award for ITS Woman of the Year
- Lucy Wickham, ITS Group Technical Director, WSP
- Suzana Harrison, ELT Lead, Yunex Traffic
- Wendy Atkinson, Associate Director, Arcadis IBI Group
- Zeina Nazer, Co-Founder, Cities Forum
Frontline Hero Award
- James Sharpe, LED Replacement, National Highways,
- Jase Say, Technical Support and Service, Neology UK
- Tom Duckham, CEO, Redspeed International
Active Travel Award
- Starling Product Suite including Starling Detector and Starling Intelligence | Starling Technologies
- Ultra Smart Cycle System | Glasgow City Council
- Steer led report on behalf of Lime called ‘Lime in London: Assessing the benefits of shared e-bike services and recommendations for future regulation’ | Steer Group
Best Use of Data or Connectivity Award
- Evaluating Traffic Signal Control Strategies on the M27 J7 with FVD | 4Way Consulting
- Future Proofing the M8 Corridor, Scotland | Clearview Intelligence
- Protecting road workers, road users and on-site assets with solar-powered technology towers – A38 Chudleigh, Devon | Clearway
- Danish Road Pricing Trial using NeoRide Solution – helping Danish Ministry of Transport to understand Road User Charging in the future | Neology UK
- The role of ITS in enhancing efficiencies and creating a more coordinated transport network throughout Derbyshire’. David Hilton Barber – Derbyshire County Council; Andrea Newman | SWARCO UK & Ireland ltd
- Common Operational View Incident Management System (COV IMS) built by TfL and Sopra Steria | Sopra Steria
- M6 Toll Virtual Variable Messaging System (VVMS) | Transport for the West Midlands
- Lanternn by Valerann™ (cloud-native ATMS) | Valerann
Better Environment through Technology Award
- Urban-Air Port – Worlds First Vertiport | Sunil Budhdeo, Coventry City Council,
- Solent Future Transport Zone: E-Scooter Scheme | University of Southampton and Solent Transport
- Connected Site – Plant Telemetry (M6 J21a to J26) |WSP
- Yunex Traffic
Connected and Automated Vehicle Award
- ServCity project | TRL
- Safety Pool™ Scenario Database | WMG, University of Warwick
- TeCall – making the most of eCall | VESOS
- RoadTrace and SafetyView Harsh braking insight | Gaist Solutions Ltd,
- Self driving but guided by people (Project consortium: Reed Mobility, DG Cities, TRL, April6 and Humanising Autonomy) | Reed Mobility
- Roadside Vehicle Noise Measurement Phase 3 (Noise Camera Trials) | Aktins Jacobs Joint Venture
- UK first Distracted Driver Road Safety Trial in collaboration with Imperial College London and Westcotec | Redspeed International
Public Transport Award
- Machine Learning & AI Powering Google Real-Time data feeds in Sofia | Theoremus
- Helsinki Metro 5G Pilot | WSP UK
- Using People Movement data to increase bus patronage in Plymouth | Amey
- “Wiltshire Connect” – Demand-Responsive Transport Service powered by ioki software together with Wiltshire County Council | ioki
Exporter of the Year Award
- Neology UK
- Yunex Traffic
ITS UK is reopening the Eric Sampson Award for Early Careers Professional of the Year, to allow greater time for people to enter. The Award has been extended until 6 October 2023.
The Client of the Year and Project of the Year Awards will be announced during the evening.
(Picture – ITS UK)