Lower Thames planning application is withdrawn

The planning application for the Lower Thames Crossing has been withdrawn by Highways England, the organisation has said.

Highways England said the move has been made after ‘early feedback’ from the Planning Inspectorate. It was expected to make a decision on the application on Friday but it was withdrawn before.

Now Highways England is expected to re-submit the application early in the new year.

Ground investigation work has been ongoing at the site since 2017. The third phase of ground investigation work concluded this summer, led by the Perfect Circle JV comprised of Pick Everard, Gleeds and Aecom.

Earlier this month, the search was started to find a contractor to help with the design and build contractor for the project.

The crossing will connect Kent with Essex to the East of London providing an alternative to the Dartford Crossing for the first time.

The main works contractor will be responsible for boring the two 4.2km long tunnels beneath the River Thames; construction of portal buildings and approach roads; and fit out of the tunnel systems, such as ventilation and lighting.

The contract is expected to be awarded in 2022, with main works on the mega project due to begin in around 18 months.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Related Stories

HIGHWAYS... DAILY

All the latest highways news direct to your inbox every week day

Subscribe now

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.