Flooding concerns raised over new Monmouthshire active travel route

Flooding on a newly funded active travel path was among the main concerns raised at Caldicot Town Council’s recent meeting.

Attendees and members of the public at the meeting on February 3 raised questions about the path near Caldicot Castle, funded by Monmouthshire County Council, which reportedly becomes “flooded”, making it “unusable for periods of the year”, says the South Wales Argus.

Councillors were informed by a representative from the county council that the route had been “extensively consulted” and minimal flooding is unavoidable due to ecological factors.

A town council document said: “The final route was altered to avoid the deepest flood areas, running closer to the main road but safely set back.”

The council was also told the funding was predominantly from a Welsh Government grant, with Section 106 contributions.

Concerns were also raised regarding the active travel path’s claimed usage numbers, which may reflect peak summer counts.

(Picture: Yay Images)

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Print

Related Stories

HIGHWAYS... DAILY

All the latest highways news direct to your inbox every week day

Subscribe now